Monday, January 26, 2009

SAG Awards -- the dresses, of course.

I'm not shallow, just focused.
Where do I begin? I have to admit that I kind of bumped into E's red carpet coverage after it had already started. I'm a bit of a snob in that I only really look for when the Academy Awards are on -- all the other awards I either catch...or not.


Lets start on a high note. Kate Winslet (who I now officially love after having seen her on a DVD of the HBO show Extras), was absolutely beautiful -- even my husband, who humors me with my fashion obsession, was like "wow!" She was tastefully poured into a glamorous royal blue gown by Narciso Rodriguez -- love the tiny little cut out on the side that you can't see in any picture I found on the web. Oh well, gotta watch "E". She was just the total package.

Eva Longoria Parker was holding it down for us petite ladies. She looked altogether lovely, though I wouldn't have picked her dress for myself. But she looked good in it. (See her above with Rosario Dawson -- and she's just leaning backwards - not pregnant. And if she was, it wouldn't be our business.)

Speaking of total package, Rosario Dawson turned it out -- perfect dress, hair and makeup, as opposed to Marisa Tomei: whose dress was pretty, but whose makeup was so non-existent and hair so boring that I kept forgetting who I was writing about as I was writing this.










Claire Danes looked great, I hate to say, since she's not my favorite person. Nothing personal. I saw her on some show once where someone who was a big fan of hers ran into her and she basically treated this fan like she was $#!* on her shoe. Or was it a he? It was a long time ago. I can't remember. Her hair did look pretty as well, but remember, I'm not allowed to say anything nice about her.

On the other hand, I could totally tell that Brad Pitt was just itching to get away from the way too personal questions of Guiliana Rancic (paraphrasing: "tell me how Angelina has made you grow...." Blech.), but he was totally cool about it, and changed the subject in a slick way.

Speaking of Angelina Jolie, I love, love, love her, but in my opinion, her dress looked like something a mother of the bride would wear. She got big points from my husband for saying that she just wanted to be comfortable. He's very practical, my man.





January Jones' dress looked like "Oh, Mighty Isis" was going to make a comeback. I did not like it. Not one little bit.








A bigger yuck was Dana Delany's dress -- hideous. It was funny, though that she said "I actualy bought this" and the reporter (I can't remember if it was Guiliana or skinny Debbie Matenopolis) said with surprise "wow, you bought this?!" It's a sad commentary on how many dresses are lent to the stars, many of whom could probably afford to buy them outright -- of course, it's left up to us suckers to do that. Her dress was killing me though, and not in a good way. I would much prefer Angelina Jolie's dress.

Surprise to me was how disappointed I was in Diane Lane's ensemble. She usually looks so put together. Her hair looked like it needed a good condition, and her dress was nothing special at all. (I just remember red because her hair looked so bad. And this picture does not show you how bad it looked on TV -- I'm just sayin'.)


Amy Adams' dress was having an identity crisis. It looked much better up close than far away -- when I first saw it, the top looked like a breastplate with cascading ruffles down one side. I don't want to pick on the pigmentally challenged, but she looks pale as death in this picture.

Keisha Whitaker looked so pretty. I know you are saying "Who?" Don't sleep. Forrest Whittaker's wife is gorgeous and she was certainly rockin' her dress last night.






Penelope Cruz's dress looked like a velvety bag. Unfortunate. She's so pretty. On her show, Rachel Zoe once said that black is hard to wear on TV as all the details of a black dress tend to go flat -- maybe it was prettier in person.




Freida Pinto from Slumdog Millionaire, another very, very attractive woman in a dress that was unfortunate. It kinda looked like a bridesmaids gown. Her beauty still stood out, though.

Taraji P. Henson looked fabulous. Her hair was making me jealous. So was the fact that she was holding Brad Pitt's hand -- though I really would have been jealous if it had been George Clooney or Taye Diggs.






Tina Fey is a wonderful comedian and writer, but I did not like her dress. I suppose she'll tell me to suck it. It looked like something you would wear on a night out in the 80's, not to an awards show. This is your chance to glam it up. Come on, Tina. I'm sitting at home with baby throw up on my shoulder and God knows where else. I need to live vicariously though you guys. This is important! My last time to wear a glamorous gown was prom -- which was the 80's, so you know what a wreck I looked like. (Though my wedding gown (from 1998) still rocks!)

For an example of perfect glam -- see Evan Rachel Wood. Wow! Everything was perfect. The dress was pretty and fit her perfectly. The color of her dress and her hair worked so well with her skin tone and everything combined to make a wonderful look

No comments: