Sunday, February 22, 2009

That's No Monkey

When I was in nursery school, I learned a song that my mother hated to hear me sing: "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, counting all the monkeys he can see. Laugh Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra, that's no monkey, that's me." I was too young to think anything of it. I didn't understand that the words implied that I must have looked like a monkey, since I had to tell Kookaburra that I wasn't one. Thoughts of that song came back when I saw this:

Sam Stein of the Huffington Post wrote that "at its most benign, the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. Most provocatively, it compares the president to a rabid chimp. Either way, the incorporation of violence and (on a darker level) race into politics is bound to be controversial." That's putting it lightly.

No comments: